The 1924 Map of Ankara shows that the gallery adjacent to the mosque was not actually part of the mosque but was a separate, independent section. The gallery, which maintained its independence in this manner for approximately 16 more years, was incorporated into the mosque during its 1940–41 renovation and became part of the mosque. The southern entrance of the gallery, which had previously provided access to the outside, was bricked up, and a new door was opened by the mosque, causing it to lose its status as a separate section.

Some sources date the mosque’s calligraphic work to the 15th century, while others date it to the 16th century. Without citing any sources, it is claimed that these are the work of Nakkaş Mustafa of Ankara, a friend of Mimar Sinan. The ceiling medallion of the western mahfil extension—which appears to have been added during the 1714 restoration—indicates that the aforementioned decoration was created during that same restoration.

Source: Tanman, Baha, Hacı Bayram-ı Velî Complex, D.İ.A.

✶ Media